PetPlayGround
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Testing Cocoa

3 posters

Go down

Testing Cocoa Empty Testing Cocoa

Post by Erithacus Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:54 pm

I had the rope adjusted to 20ft and tied to the gate. My daughter and I then went to the road to play badminton. Cocoa flew to my car and sat there watching us played badminton. Each time I hit the shuttlecock, Cocoa said, "woooo".

After we finished our game, I took a video of Cocoa. My whole idea was to test if Cocoa would fly away.
Cocoa didn't show any desire to runaway from home.

Erithacus
Erithacus

Back to top Go down

Testing Cocoa Empty Re: Testing Cocoa

Post by mondayblueblue Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:19 pm

mean ur bird is super tame already, can let go also wont fly.
mondayblueblue
mondayblueblue

Back to top Go down

Post by Erithacus Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:15 pm

Many super tame parrots flew away too. They will fly away if given a chance.
Most parrots are kept indoor. They are chained to their feet when brought out of the house. Wings clipped birds will fly away when they have a chance to fly. They are curious what is outside because they don't have a chance to fly outdoor and also they hardly get to travel outdoor.

What I am trying to do is to train Cocoa to a stage where she has no desire to fly away. I bring her to outings regularly. Every morning I take her to the playground to fly. In the evening she gets to play with a bunch of kids at the playground. With all these exposures, outside is no longer a big deal to her. She knows what is outside.

My house is escape proof. Windows are closed all the time and I have netting to cover the metal grille door. The curtain shields the entry door. I was wondering what if one day the door is left open by accident, would Cocoa take the opportunity to escape like the rest of the parrots that had escaped?

I did an experiment to test out Cocoa. On Day 1, I put the harness on Cocoa and adjusted the leash to about 20ft long and tied it to the sofa. Cocoa was on the sofa which was about 4ft away from the door. I left the door wide open. Cocoa was facing the door. My wife was sitting between Cocoa and the door. A few minutes later, Cocoa was on take off mode. I thought she was going to fly out of the house. Surprisingly, she flew to my wife's head and never even bothered about looking outside.

Then, I placed her on her perch and left the door open for almost an hour.
She didn't even try to escape.

On Day 2, I placed her stand in front the wide open door. Again, she flew to my wife who was sitting next to her. Later I took her out in the porch with the leash tied to the clothes hanger. I kept the rope at 20ft. She flew on my car and played on my car for a while. After spending about 15 -20 minutes in the car porch, she flew back into the house. I was surprised that she knew how to go home. I carried out the test for 5 days and Cocoa showed no desire to fly away.

Even though she has "passed" those tests, it doesn't means that I will leave all the windows and doors open. I will still take precautionary steps to ensure Cocoa will not escape because I never know what she thinks.

As you can see on the video, Cocoa is having fun with the kids instead of flying away.

Erithacus
Erithacus

Back to top Go down

Post by bohr Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:12 am

wah he dont fly away even got disturb by those kid Very Happy
bohr
bohr

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content